I'll be studying in Costa Rica this spring through the Associated Colleges of the Midwest tropical field research program. This blog is to share my adventures with friends, family, and anyone interested in the ACM program. Pura vida!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Rain, Rain Go Away


Sorry that it’s been a while since I last posted; life here in Pueblo Nuevo has settled into a normal daily routine and I haven’t felt like there was much exciting news to share.  But I know that “normal” here is nothing like life in the States, so it’s still probably worthwhile to keep the updates coming.

I have now been at my field site for a little over two weeks, and I can’t believe how fast the time has flown.  It’s actually kind of scary, because my project has been difficult to get off the ground and I already feel like my time is running out!  All of the ACM students are returning to San José this weekend to give midterm reports on our progress and begin preliminary data analysis, and I’m worried I won’t have much of anything to share by then. 
Something I have done: take pictures of the soil profiles at each of my study sites.  You can see the darker topsoil layer in this picture pretty well.
My project consists of several parts: collecting soil samples to send to a laboratory for chemical and microbiological analysis; on-farm tests for bulk density, earthworm abundance, infiltration, and leaf litter accumulation; and soil chromatography (an interesting method for qualitative analysis of the overall health of the soil).  The on-farm tests have proven difficult, because I’m realizing that without access to a laboratory, it’s extremely difficult to find the materials that I need to carry out the tests.  For example, I need a scale to weigh the soil for bulk density tests and earthworms, but there is no scale on the farm that measures as precise as I need.  I’m worried that my results will end up not being precise enough to be scientifically valid.  I haven’t been able to collect the samples for the laboratory analysis yet either, because I have been waiting to hear how many samples I will have the funding to collect.  I’m hoping to start on that tomorrow when my advisor comes to help.  I’ll be staying in San José for an extra day after the mid-term report to learn how to perform soil chromatography, so I haven’t been able to start on that yet either.

However, I really can’t complain because I’ve been able to spend my days walking around in the beautiful cacao farm, seeing birds, butterflies and lizards and admiring the huge paths that the leaf-cutter ants keep meticulously clean (they’re big enough for a human to walk on!)  And I do have to admit that digging through the dirt and counting worms is kind of fun and oddly therapeutic, except when it’s rainy.
Giant spider - I wish I had something in the picture for a size comparison, because this thing was HUGE!

A butterfly decided to perch on my backpack while I was sitting and counting earthworms.
Leaf cutter ant trail, big enough for me to walk on
Leaf cutter ants crossing a bridge

That’s another thing: I’ve realized here how much the weather affects my mood.  It has been extremely rainy for the last two weeks, which has made working in the field difficult.  I’m amazed at how on a rainy day, huddled in my poncho under the leaves of a banana plant, I feel so frustrated with my project and can’t wait to get back to San José; while when the sun comes out I’m perfectly content to sit counting earthworms for six hours.  Paige and Ben, I’m sure you guys would love it here, but I’ve realized that I probably couldn’t live in Portland! ;)

Even with the rain, one thing I have been able to enjoy is spending time with my host family.  I have really come to appreciate the value of just sitting and talking.  In the US, when I’m with my family and friends, I always feel like we need to be doing something, whether that be eating out at a restaurant, watching a movie, baking cookies, or going for a bike ride.  Here, life is simpler, and most people pass the afternoon sitting on the patio with family or friends and chatting.  I especially love talking with my host grandparents, who live next door, and hearing stories about their past.  I also feel like I know more about the local and family gossip than I ever knew in the US! 
Hanging out with Anyell, 6, and Yeimy, 10, eating coconuts on the porch
My host grandfather, Manuel.
 Stay tuned for a summary of our rainy visit to Tortuguero National Park!

1 comment: